Mercy - Douglass Lectureship: Oncologic Anthropology and Breast Cancer Disparities

This event is no longer on sale.

Wednesday February 16

6:00 PM  –  7:30 PM

 

Join the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, The Medical Society of Eastern Pennsylvania, The Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson and the SKCC Center to Eliminate Cancer Disparities for the annual Mercy-Douglass Lectureship and Student Scholarship Award Ceremony.

 

This year's speaker will be Dr. Lisa A. Newman, Chief, Breast Surgery Section and Director, Interdisciplinary Breast Disease Program at Weill Cornell Medicine-New York Presbyterian Hospital Network, Founding Medical Director, International Center for the Study of Breast Cancer Subtypes, 2nd Vice President, American College of Surgeons, who will speak on Oncologic Anthropology and Breast Cancer Disparities. 

 

This virtual event will be presented on Zoom Webinar followed by a live Q&A.  

 

About the Mercy - Douglass Lectureship:

 

The Mercy - Douglass Lectureship is a partnership of the Medical Society of Eastern Pennsylvania and the Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Jefferson and was established to celebrate the Mercy Douglass hospital and its contributions to Black healthcare in the City of Philadelphia.

 

About the Mercy - Douglass Hospital:

 

The Mercy - Douglass Hospital originated in 1948 as a result of the merger of the Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital and the Mercy Hospital. The Frederick Douglass Memorial Hospital was founded in 1895 by Dr. Nathan Francis Mossell at 1512 Lombard Street and was incorporated in 1896. Dr. Eugene Theodore Hinson played a major role in the founding of Mercy Hospital which occurred on February 12, 1907, at 17th and Fitzwater Streets. On April 2, 1907, a charter was granted for the Mercy Hospital and School for Nurses. In 1908, a new Douglass Hospital was erected at 1530 Lombard Street and in March 1919, the Mercy Hospital expanded and moved to 50th and Woodland Avenue occupying the site of the Episcopal Divinity School. 

 

The Mercy-Douglass Hospital and School for Nurses was incorporated on March 11, 1948. The “Doane Report” suggested that the Douglass Hospital building be used and to give up the Mercy Hospital site. However, the staff rejected this proposal and Mercy-Douglass Hospital moved to the Mercy Hospital site at 50th and Woodland Avenue. In 1950, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania agreed to build a new hospital. In 1954, the hospital was closed temporarily as the new construction took place on the same site. The new building opened in May 1956. In September 1957, the last class of student nurses was accepted and seven graduated in 1960. Thus ended the School for Nurses. Mercy-Douglass Hospital went into Receivership in December 1971, closed in 1973, and was demolished in 1982. 

 

These institutions had an illustrious history with an outstanding place in the history of Philadelphia medicine. They served as places of training for dedicated Black physicians and nurses who practiced and taught excellent medicine and nursing. 

Loading...